INSTRUCTIONS FOR FAFSA IRS DATA RETRIEVAL
- Go to fafsa.ed.gov [https://fafsa.ed.gov/] and select “Start
Here” for new users and “Log In” for returning users.
- Enter your FSA ID (FSA Username and Password) and click
- Returning users updating current year FAFSA, click on “Make
- Returning users completing a FAFSA for a new financial aid
year, click on “FAFSA Renewal.”
- If you haven’t already, create a Save Key and click on
“Next.” Both you and your parent/s will be able to use this to access your
- Go to “Student Financial Information” page or “Parent
Financial Information” page.
- If you haven’t already, answer the questions in the first
box to see if you or your parent/s are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval
- If eligible, click “Link to IRS.”
- Enter your FSA ID or the FSA ID for the parent providing the
information, depending on the financial information page you are on.
- Click on “Proceed to IRS Site.”
- Click on “OK” to accept the IRS Data Retrieval Tool terms of
- Enter the requested information and click “Submit.” Remember
to enter your address exactly as it appeared when you filed your taxes.
- For your privacy, the tax information you transfer from the
IRS into your FAFSA form won’t be visible to you. Check the box to “Transfer My
Tax Information into the FAFSA” and click “Transfer Now.” Your IRS data will be
transferred to your FAFSA and you will be returned to the FAFSA website.
- You will see “Transferred from the IRS” in the appropriate
fields on the FAFSA.
- Answer the additional questions and click “Next.”
- Proceed to the Sign and Submit page. Make sure all necessary
signatures are complete.
- After you submit your FAFSA, you will be shown a