This is a free service! The credit card number or account number from an auto loan, mortgage, or home equity loan requested is for identity verification purposes only.
1. Go to https://www.irs.gov/ and click on “Get Your Tax Record”
2. Click on “Get Transcript Online” and take note of the items listed under “What You Need”
- You will need a Tax Return Transcript, Not a Tax Account Transcript.
3. If this is your first time using this system, you’ll have to create an account. Click on “Create Account” and follow the prompts.
- To register and use this service, you will need: Your SSN, date of birth, filing status and mailing address from your last tax return, access to your personal email account, a credit card number through your bank or account number from an auto loan, mortgage, or home equity loan, a mobile phone with your name on the account.
4. Check your email to retrieve your confirmation code.
- If you don’t see an email, check your junk/spam folder.
- Do not close the IRS window, or you will have to restart the process.
- Enter your code and click “Continue”.
5. Continue to enter your personal information.
- You’ll be asked for basic information such as your SSN, filing status and address from your last tax return, as well as some validation questions to verify your identity.
- Your address will need to be exactly as it was on your last tax return. You will need to look at your last tax return for this information.
- We recommend creating a User ID and Password so you can easily login in future years.
- To complete your profile, you’ll need to choose an identifying phrase and picture, secret questions and you User ID and password.
- Once your profile has been successfully created, click “Continue”.
- We use the prior, prior year for your FAFSA IRS tax information (ex. 2019-2020 FAFSA will use 2017 IRS tax information).
8. Save your transcript.
- Your transcript will appear as a PDF file.
- If no transcript appears, you may need to turn off your pop-up blocker for this website page.
- Save your transcript and submit to Financial Aid.
Please return form and any documentation to our office using one of the following:
- Bring in your documents to our office, McFarland 219, during business hours.
- Fax your documents to our secure fax machine at 701-845-7545.
- Mail your documents to our office at
Valley City State University
101 College St. SW
Valley City, ND 58072
- Upload and send documents securely at the following link: VCSU Financial Aid Filedrop.