At VCSU, faculty are hired in one of three types of positions:
1. Tenure track/tenure. Faculty in the tenure track demonstrate expertise in teaching and scholarly or creative work, along with research and study that contribute significantly to the depth of knowledge that informs classroom teaching, thereby benefiting both students and the university. They may also have professional expertise that provides meaningful context and application for students. Faculty in this track typically have a contract that includes 80% teaching (24 credit hours annually), 10% scholarship, and 10% service.
2. Special Appointment. Faculty in this position track are hired in fixed year contracts of 1-3 years. They are expert teachers with strong practical credentials who provide meaningful contextual experience for students. Faculty in this track have contracts more heavily weighted toward teaching; service may be included in the contract, but scholarly work is not. Their contracts may range from 100% teaching (30 credits annually) to as low as 80% teaching and 20% service.
3. Adjunct. Part-time faculty who are hired on a term by term basis. They should not be hired for more than 8 credits per semester.
Faculty rank is determined by credentials at entry point and through annual peer review and recommendation.
1. Tenure track faculty who meet the minimum requirements of the job description begin their work at VCSU as an Assistant Professor. In cases where the best candidate falls slightly short of the stated minimum (ABD, for example, when searching for a PhD candidate), the committee may recommend the candidate, who must meet the minimum requirements before start of the term of hire. Failure to do so will reduce the rank to Instructor until the term following completion of the stated minimum.
2. Special Appointment faculty who meet the minimum requirements for hire (see Faculty Qualifications policy, V605.09.01) begin their work at VCSU as an Assistant Professor.
3. Adjunct faculty must meet the minimum requirements for hire (see Faculty Qualifications policy, V605.09.01).
Evaluation, Tenure, and Promotion procedures are outlined in V605.01.01, V605.01.02, and V605.01.03.
The chart below illustrates the qualifications and for each rank and faculty position.
Qualifications tools for each track and rank
||Not a full search. Meets minimum HLC requirements. Temporary employment. One rank only. Years at this rank do not count toward promotion.
Primarily bachelor’s degree and exceptional qualifying experience for a specific teaching area, such as Spanish or private flute lessons
May be used for a tenure track candidate who does not meet Department Specific Requirements as advertised
||Not a full search. Meets minimum HLC requirements. 1-3 year appointment. Fixed term contract may include teaching, and service as determined by department.
|Assistant Professor—Tenure Track
||Meets minimum HLC requirements AND Departmental Specific requirements as advertised
|Associate Professor—Tenure Track
||Six years of teaching at VCSU (does not include years granted toward tenure)
||Ten years of teaching at VCSU (does not include years granted toward tenure)
- AA-6b First Year Faculty Evaluation Professional Development Plan
- AA-9 Faculty Qualifications Audit
- AA-27a Self-Evaluation, Tenure and Non-Tenure Guidelines
Writable forms are located at X:/Institution/Offices/Academic Affairs/Academic Forms/Tenure Prom Eval/
Sponsor: Faculty Association
Reference: Approved by Academic Policy and Affairs Council and Faculty Senate in 1984
Reviewed: Winter 1996
Revised: Winter 2000
Revised: January 2011 (Revised from "Tenure Policy" to "Terminal Degrees, Tenure and Promotion." Policy and procedures for tenure, evaluation, and promotion are in policies V605.1.1, V605.1.2,and V605.1.3)
Revised and Name Change: March 2020