What is mental health counseling?

Being a college student can be an exciting and rewarding time in life. But with that excitement can come stress, uncertainty, relationship problems and academic difficulties. Counseling provides an opportunity for you to meet with a trained, professional clinical counselors who can offer objective, non-judgmental feedback about your concerns. A counselor will not try to "fix" your problems or make you do anything. Instead they can ask questions and make observations that may help you get new perspectives on your concerns, and new ideas on how to solve them.

Our goal is to work collaboratively with you to help you achieve emotional and mental wellness. We evaluate your mental and physical state, help you identify environmental, social, and occupational challenges and stressors, help you determine a treatment goal, and provide mental health psychoeducation. 

What types of counseling are offered?

View our page on types of counseling services offered. Sessions are free and confidential. 

Can you diagnosis a mental health disorder?

Yes. A diagnostic assessment and verbal intake interview are required for us to diagnosis a student. This process may take up to two-weeks and the first initial session may take up to an hour. If you need a diagnosis referral sent to your primary care physician to be prescribed medication, we would send over the referral after a diagnosis has been made. 

Can you prescribe medication?

No. Our counselors at VCSU are not licensed to prescribe medication. Your primary care physician may prescribe medication based on a mental health diagnosis.

How do I make an appointment?

We can visit with students face-to-face, or virtually through Microsoft Teams. Visits can be scheduled through email or stopping by McFarland 424 or 425 (east end of McFarland). Office hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., with extended hours on Tuesdays from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. 

Appointments may also be made by contacting the clinical mental health counselors listed below:

Dr. Erin D. Klingenberg, PhD; LPCC; NCC at erin.klingenberg@vcsu.edu

Kelsie Carter, M.Ed., LPC at kelsie.carter@vcsu.edu

How do I make a referral?

If someone you know is struggling, please reach out to Counseling Service Office. Referrals may be made by contacting the Counseling Office at 701.845-7424 or 701.845-7427 or email: erin.klingenberg@vcsu.edu or kelsie.carter@vcsu.edu

What do I do when working with a distressed student?

Working with a Distressed Student Decision-Making Poster & Video

Contacting the Counseling Office at 701.845-7424 or 701.845-7427 or email: erin.klingenberg@vcsu.edu or kelsie.carter@vcsu.edu