Policies and Procedures


Audited Courses

You cannot be certified/draw benefits for an audited course.

Dropping a Course

If you drop a course during the semester, the VA may consider the drop retroactive to the start of semester/course.  If this changes your enrollment status, an over payment situation may occur.

If you drop a summer course, email registrar@vcsu.edu as soon as possible.  Due to the shortened terms of summer, changes to your class schedule will affect your payment.

Enrollment Status


Below Half-Time

Veterans and service members training at less than half time will be paid only tuition and fees for the entire term

Part-Term Courses

The VA will count part-term courses toward your enrollment status only while that course is actually in Session


·        “U” Grades: the VA will not credit a course toward your enrollment status if the final grade is a “U”.  This can lead to an overpayment situation at the end of a semester. 

·        “I” Grades: If an “I” Grade is not made up within one year, the VA will deduct those credits from your enrollment status for that term and an overpayment situation will result

Transferring Schools

If you’re transferring either to VCSU or from VCSU to another school and are already receiving your benefits, you need to fill out a 22-1995 form, (or the online 22-5495 for Chapter 35 recipients) and submit it to the VA.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

You must maintain satisfactory academic progress in order to continue receiving your benefits.  The VA will terminate your benefits when probationary status continues past two semesters or when you are dismissed.  At this time, reinstatement is all that is required for VCSU to re-certify you for benefits.