Students are placed into English and Math courses based on qualifying exam scores established by North Dakota University System (NDUS) policy and procedure. For more information and test options, see NDUS procedure 402.1.2 Student Placement into College Courses.
For students who have provided multiple exam scores, the highest placement may be used.
||SAT Evidenced-Based Reading and Writing
||Accuplacer Next Gen Writing
|ENGL 120 College Composition II or ENGL 125 Intro to Professional Writing||23-36|
|ENGL 110 College Composition I||18-36||490+||5+||256+|
|ASC 88 Composition Lab (co-enroll) with ENGL 110 College Composition I||14-17||410-480||4||237-255|
|ASC 87 College Writing Prep||0-13||0-400||1-3||200-236|
Additional English Placement Policies
- VCSU students with an ACT English score of 23 or above may choose to be placed in ENGL 120 College Composition II or ENGL 125 Introduction to Professional Writing. Students who choose this option will take ENGL 210 College Composition III to complete the VCSU general education English Composition requirement.
- Students who have been awarded institutional test credit for ENGL 110 College Composition I (or its equivalent) from an accredited college or university, and who have successfully completed ENGL 120 College Composition II or ENGL 125 Introduction to Professional Writing with a C or better, may take ENGL 210 College Composition III to complete the general education English Composition requirement at VCSU.
||Accuplacer Elementary Algebra
||Accuplacer Next Gen QAS
|MATH 103 College Algebra||21-36||530||76-120||255+|
|ASC 93 Algebra Prep III||19-20||510-520||57-75||246-254|
|ASC 92 Algebra Prep II||16-18||430-500||41-56||237-245|
|ASC 91 Algebra Prep I||0-15||0-420||0-40||200-236|
Additional Math Registration Information
- VCSU students with Math placement in ASC 91 Algebra Prep I, ASC 92 Algebra Prep II, and ASC 93 Algebra Prep III will register as a collaborative student with Dakota College at Bottineau in their classes offered on the VCSU campus. For more information and the class schedule, see Collaborative Registration.
- Students 25 years old or older on the first day of class
- Students from countries other than the U.S. and Canada
- Student transferring 24 or more semester credits