Congratulations on the new addition, or expected addition, to your family! A birth, adoption, acquired legal guardianship is a qualifying life event and allows 30-days (from the date of the event) for a mid-year change or addition of benefits.
Please formally notify Employee Services of the change as directed below.
- Contact HR to determine qualification for leave under the Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Provide a copy of the birth certificate, adoption agreement, or legal paperwork to HR
- Complete a Life Change Event Form
- Make changes, or additions, to benefits within a 30-day window of the birth, adoption, or guardianship change (see below)
Benefits to consider adding/updating and links to forms:
- Health Insurance (Add dependent, need Social Security Number)
- Dental Insurance (Only if not a newborn)
- Vision Insurance (Only if not a newborn)
- Aflac-Flex Spending Accounts (Medical and Dependent Care)
- Life Insurance
- Update Retirement Beneficiaries
- NDPERS Retirement Employees click here
- TIAA-CREF Retirement Employees update online or contact customer service at 1-800-842-2252