Animals can be a threat to personal safety and health (allergies); can cause physical damage; and may cause additional maintenance costs. Animals are permitted on campus in accordance with the following provisions.

1. Service Animals

    Service animals for persons with professionally documented disabilities are allowed in University buildings and on University grounds.

    "Service Animal," as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, means a guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability. Service animals perform some of the functions and tasks that an individual with a disability cannot perform for him/herself in activities of normal living. A service animal is a working animal, not a pet. Some forms of service include, but are not limited to, guiding a person with impaired vision, alerting persons with hearing loss to intruders or sounds, and aiding persons with impaired mobility by steadying the person when walking.

2. Residence Halls

    Because of the design of the residence halls and the problems associated with keeping pets in and around the residence halls, pets are not permitted. Pets are not allowed at any time, even for "just a visit." The only exception to this policy is small aquatic life in an aquarium. The aquarium must not exceed 10 gallons in volume. If you have an aquarium, you must have your roommate's approval and accept full and complete responsibility for care, cleanliness, and any ill effects that could result. Amphibious creatures such as frogs, lizards, snakes and turtles are prohibited. It is also prohibited to have any type of fish that are considered harmful or dangerous to humans, or any creature that is prohibited by city, state and federal laws.

3. Academic/Administrative/Athletic Buildings/Athletic Facilities

    Pets are not allowed within University academic and administrative buildings. Pets are not allowed at any athletic events in university buildings or on university grounds. The presence of pets at non-campus events held on campus must be preapproved by a Vice President.

Sponsored by: Loss Control Committee

Effective: January 2012