Online Elementary Education Program
The online program is designed for individuals working in a school as a para-professional or other staff positions, but not required to.
Benefits of VCSU’s Online Elementary Education Program
- Work Experience: work in an educational setting as a paraprofessional or substitute teacher while taking courses
- Smaller Classes: makes it easier for students to connect with each other and the instructor
- Networking Opportunities: connect with other students in the field earning a teaching degree or endorsement
- Course Offerings: offers a large variety of online courses
- Lower overall costs: Online programs may be a more affordable option than traditional colleges. For example, there are no commuting costs, and sometimes required course materials, such as textbooks, are available online at no cost
- More comfortable learning environment: Students listen to lectures and complete assignments sent to them electronically, with no need to fight traffic, leave work early for class, or miss important family time.
- Convenience and flexibility: Online courses allow students to schedule study time. Students can study and work at their convenience. Also helps students balance work and family commitments with their education
- Career advancement or continue current employment: Students can take online courses and even complete entire degrees while working, in-between jobs, or while taking time to raise a family
- Avoid commuting: Colleges may cancel classes based on inclement weather. Rather than miss important class sessions, students in online courses can always “attend” by participating in discussion boards or chat sessions, turning in their work on time, and watching lectures or reading materials. Many students also find substantial savings on gas costs with no commute for classes.
Certificate, Endorsement, and Minor Content Options:
STEM Education Elementary Certificate of Completion
Strategist Special Education Endorsement
Teaching English Language Learners Endorsement
Reading Certificate of Completion
Library Media and Information Science (LMIS)
Middle Level Certificate of Completion
Minor Content Options:
Art Education Minor | Health Education Minor | Physical Education Minor | Library Media and Information Science Minor | Music Education Minor | Teaching English Language Learners Minor | Technology Education Minor
Fall Applications Due: November 15th for spring enrollment; Spring Applications Due: April 15th for fall enrollment.
Online Education Program Admission Requirements
- A minimum grade of C in ENGL 110 and 120 (College Composition I and II)
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50
- Complete a criminal background check for ESPB
- Access to a school that will allow you to work with students during practicum and student teaching field experiences.
Teacher Education Program Admission Requirements
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher
- ENGL 110 or ENGL 210 with a C or higher
- ENGL 120 or ENGL 125 with a C or higher
- EDUC 249/250 with a C or higher
- Successful completion of a speech screening test
- Positive recommendation from advisor
- Positive recommendations from two School of Education and/or content area instructors
- Evidence of Basic Skill Requirements in Reading, Writing, and Mathematics.
- Demonstrate proper dispositions necessary to teach for learning