The online program is designed for individuals in North Dakota currently teaching in a school as a para-professional or other staff position. There are instances, where other individuals may qualify for our online program.
Benefits of VCSU’s Online Elementary Education Program
- Work Experience: work in an educational setting as a paraprofessional or substitute teacher while taking courses
- Smaller Classes: makes it easier for students to connect with each other and the instructor
- Networking Opportunities: connect with other students in the field earning an endorsement or teaching
- Course Offerings: offers a large variety of online courses
- Lower overall costs: Online programs may be a more affordable option than traditional colleges. For example, there are no commuting costs, and sometimes required course materials, such as textbooks, are available online at no cost
- More comfortable learning environment: Students listen to lectures and complete assignments sent to them electronically, with no need to fight traffic, leave work early for class, or miss important family time.
- Convenience and flexibility: Online courses allow students to schedule study time around the rest of their day, instead of the other way around. Students can study and work at their convenience. Also helps students balance work and family commitments with their education
- Career advancement or continue current employment: Students can take online courses and even complete entire degrees while working, while in-between jobs, or while taking time to raise a family
- Avoid commuting: During snowstorms and thunderstorms, colleges may cancel classes to avoid putting commuting students at risk of dangerous driving conditions. Rather than miss important class sessions, students in online courses can always “attend” by participating in discussion boards or chat sessions, turning in their work on time, and watching lectures or reading materials. Many students also find substantial savings on gas costs with no commute for classes Source Modified
VCSU Certificate, Endorsement, and Minor Content Options:
Certificate and Endorsement Content Options:
STEM Education Elementary Certificate of Completion
STEM Education Secondary Certificate of Completion
Strategist Special Education Endorsement
ND Kindergarten Endorsement
Teaching English Language Learners Endorsement
Reading Certificate of Completion
Library Media and Information Science (LMIS)
Middle Level Certificate of Completion
Minor Content Options:
Music Education Minor
Teaching English Language Learners Minor and Endorsement
Library Media and Information Science Minor
Fall Applications Due: November 15th for spring enrollment; Spring Applications Due: April 15th for fall
enrollment. (No application review in the summer)
Online Education Program Admission Requirements
- Associate degree required for online program
- A list of specific courses needed for elementary licensure can be found in the Course Catalog
- A minimum grade of C in ENGL 110 and 120 (College Composition I and II)
- A minimum grade of C in COMM 110 (Fundamental of Public Speaking)
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75
- Must be working as a paraprofessional in an elementary school or obtain your ND substitute license
- Complete a criminal background check from ESPB
- A recommendation letter from a principal or superintendent stating why you would be a good candidate for VCSU’s Online Elementary Education Program.
- Access to a school that will allow you to work with student groups during methods course work and practicums.
VCSU’s Teacher Education Program Admission Requirements
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher
- ENGL 110 with C or higher
- ENGL 120 or ENGL 125 with C or higher
- EDUC 249/250 with C or higher - These courses walk you through the admittance process
- Meet Core Requirements
- Speech Screening test
- Positive recommendations from two School of Education and/or content area instructors
- Positive recommendation from advisor
- Demonstrate proper dispositions necessary to teach for learning
PRAXIS CORE Testing Requirements
Pass the Praxis CORE I exam.
- Praxis Exam requirements can be found on the ETS website.
- VCSU Praxis resources
- Send Scores to Valley City State University & ND ESPB
|Praxis: Recipient Codes
|Valley City State University
|ND Education Standards & Practices Board (ESPB)
If you do apply to VCSU’s Elementary Education Program, you will need to send in a response essay on the following questions when you apply to VCSU:
- Why do you want to be an elementary teacher?
- What is your plan to successfully complete an online elementary education program?