To assist in the coordination, development, and oversight of VCSU Policies and to ensure that the VCSU Policy Manual is complete and current. This policy brings with it a formal process for achieving its purpose.
1. The President of the university is responsible for university policies and the university policy manual. No policy may take effect without the approval of the President. Policies must be consistent with those of the State Board of Higher Education (SBHE).
2. The President shall establish the University Policy Committee (UPC). The President delegates leadership responsibility for university policies to the UPC. The charge of the committee is, first and foremost, to act at the direction of the President as a consulting body in the development and maintenance of VCSU policies. To this end, the UPC shall (a) establish and maintain a process for annual review of university policies, (b) continually monitor and respond to relevant policy changes from the SBHE that may impact university policy, and (c) receive policy proposals from university personnel for consideration and, if appropriate, make recommendations to the President. It is expected that the committee will develop any proposed revisions to university policies in consultation with other relevant officers or entities before submission to the President. The President may also initiate policy changes in any area consistent with SBHE policy and will ordinarily confer with the UPC prior to implementing any change.
3. Per North Dakota University System (NDUS) policy, the President may adopt interim policies and procedures concerning matters for which legislative authority is designated to campus legislative bodies. Adoption of an interim policy or procedure must include notice to faculty senate or other legislative body prior to or at the time the policy or procedure takes effect. Not later than six months of its effective date, the President shall present the interim policy or procedure to the appropriate legislative body for review and its decision, subject to the President’s approval or veto, concerning whether the policy or procedure should be adopted, revised, or discontinued.
4. Voting members of the UPC shall include:
• Vice President for Academic Affairs (VPAA) (Chair)
• Vice President for Business Affairs
• Vice President for Student Affairs
• Three Staff Representatives
• One representative from Faculty Senate
• Two at-large faculty representatives elected by the Faculty Association
5. Faculty and Staff representatives shall serve for three-year terms.
6. In addition to those procedures noted below, specific operating procedures (forms, meeting dates and times, timelines, first- and second-reading procedures, etc.) shall be established by the UPC.
1. A meeting of the UPC must be called at least once each month during the academic year by the Chair (VPAA).
2. The committee Chair (VPAA) assembles and presents the agenda to the UPC. The agenda may contain items brought to the committee from any constituents: faculty, staff, students, administration. Every effort shall be made to present agenda items to UPC members at least one week prior to meetings.
3. Administrative Assistant support for the UPC shall be provided by the Office of the President.
VCSU Policy Revision and New Policy Proposal Process
1. Potential UPC agenda items, including changes to existing or proposed policies, should be presented to the committee chair, the (VPAA), at least one week prior to the next scheduled UPC meeting. Exceptions may be allowed with chair approval.
2. Submitted proposals should follow directions linked at the bottom of this policy and include a completed cover sheet also linked below. Originators should consult with the Executive Assistant to the President for any questions in the process.
3. Agenda and meeting materials will be available to committee members through the electronic meeting calendar.
4. A proposal forwarded to UPC before approval at various appropriate levels will be returned to the policy originator to gain approval for proposed changes.
5. The Executive Assistant to the President will secure signatures to proposals before they are submitted to the president of the university.
6. The UPC Chair will forward committee recommendations regarding policies to the President of the university.
7. With approval from the President of the university, the Office of the President will publish new/revised policy in the electronic VCSU Policy Manual. Policy review and revision dates will be added to existing policies. Sponsoring body and effective date will be listed on new policy.
8. Per university President approval, the Office of the President will inform VCSU employees of new, revised, and deleted policies through VCSU email message.
Sponsor: Vice President for Academic Affairs
Approved by President: October 2007
Revised: March 2010
Revised: December 2017
Revised: February 2021