Students not making satisfactory progress will be placed on academic probation. The following standards for satisfactory progress have been established and apply to all enrolled students: 

Total Hours Attempted

Cumulative GPA Required








Any student who does not make satisfactory progress according to these standards is placed on academic probation. Until the student brings his or her cumulative grade point average up to the required level, the student is continued on probation, providing he or she achieves at least a 2.00 grade point average during the subsequent semester(s) of enrollment. The summer session is considered equivalent to a semester.

Full-time students not accruing adequate credits may be placed on academic probation or suspension at the discretion of the Vice President for Academic Affairs. Adequate credits is defined as two-thirds of the hours attempted.

First year students who have completed fewer than 12 credits and earn a GPA less than 2.0 will receive an academic warning letter. The academic warning will not appear on the transcript but requires the student to meet with the Director for Student Academic Services to discuss options for academic support, such as tutoring and a one-credit course in study skills.

In order to increase the probability of future academic success, academic probation status restricts the student to a maximum course load of fifteen credits during fall and spring semesters (6 credits during summer) and recommends the student complete a one-credit course in study skills as part of the restricted course load. Satisfactory progress while on probation means achieving a grade point average of at least 2.00 or better during the semester. Failure on the part of the student to achieve a semester grade point of at least 2.00 while on probation results in academic suspension from the University.

A student who has been suspended from the University may submit a petition to the Academic and Scholastic Standing Committee for readmission. (Form AA-8). The Committee reviews the petition, considers the evidence, and makes a decision regarding the status of the student. Any student who is reinstated by this Committee is required to meet obligations set forth by the Vice President for Academic Affairs or designee.

A suspended student who returns after one calendar year may be readmitted on probation and is not required to petition for readmission. Any transfer student who is not eligible to return to the previous institution must submit a petition to the Academic and Scholastic Standing Committee for admission to VCSU. Transfer admission following the academic suspension/dismissal from another institution will be coordinated with that institution to determine conditions under which the student may be admitted. 

Sponsored by: Academic and Scholastic Standing Committee

Effective: Fall 1990

Reviewed: Winter 1996

Reviewed: Winter 2004-2005

Revised Number: February 2010 

Revised: March 2015

Revised: April 2020

Revised: Spring 2022