Tuition rates are based on the student's state of residence. It is the student's responsibility to check Campus Connection and verify their current tuition rate for billing purposes.

To verify your tuition rate in Campus Connection from the Student Homepage: click Financial Account > Account Summary > select Institution Valley City State University and Account Term for the current Term. Under Charges, check the Tuition line item to verify your tuition rate.

2021-2022 Tuition Rate Resident of State/Providence/Country
Tuition-Resident North Dakota
Tuition-Minnesota Reciprocity Minnesota with approved Reciprocity (see below)
Tuition-Contiguous Montana, South Dakota, Manitoba, Saskatchewan
Tuition-MSEP (Midwest Student Exchange Program) Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Wisconsin
Tuition-WUE (Western Undergraduate Exchange) Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming
Tuition-Non-Resident or Tuition-International Resident of state/province/country not listed above

For students seeking to become a North Dakota Resident for tuition purposes:

  1. A Resident Student Status eForm must be submitted in Campus Connection. A step-by-step how-to guide can be found at the bottom of this page.
  2. The Required Residency Documentation must be attached to the Resident Student Status eForm in Campus Connection.
  3. A student must be approved for the ND residency change prior to the deadline for the current semester.
    ** Please note, refunds will not be given for terms attended prior to approval of the Application for Resident Tuition. Adjustments in tuition rates will only be made for the current term prior to the deadline. **
Last Day to Apply for Resident Tuition
Fall 2022 August 31, 2022
Spring 2023 January 19, 2023
Summer 2023 June 8, 2023

For students seeking to be granted Minnesota Reciprocity for tuition purposes:

  • If you are a Minnesota resident who is enrolling within 12 months of graduating from a Minnesota high school, you do not need to complete a reciprocity application. For reciprocity approval, you will provide your official Minnesota high school transcript to Enrollment Services.
  • If you are a Minnesota resident who is enrolling and has taken a break in semesters or is a transfer student, you do need to complete the Tuition Reciprocity Application.
    • Until reciprocity is approved, students will be billed at the Midwest Student Exchange Program (MSEP/MHEC) tuition rate, which is a higher rate than MN Reciprocity. The Minnesota Reciprocity tuition rate is granted only to students that have received approval from the Minnesota Office of Higher Education.
    • After reciprocity is approved, the MN Reciprocity will be applied for the current term and concurrent future terms. You will need to reapply if you have not enrolled within the last 12 months.
    • For faster processing, submit an online reciprocity application and send a copy of your Congratulations page to (new students) or (current or returning students).

Minnesota Online Tuition Reciprocity Application